Saturday 27 April 2002

Patrick Crozier of UK Transport has e-mailed me good wishes for this new blog and suggested several topics for me to cover. The first is: "Do the Scots hate the English?" Well, I got another e-mail this morning from United Airlines asking me to use my air miles to enter a draw to go to Japan for the World Cup. I would certainly go - and support England - but then I'm half-English anyway. The general Scottish attitude to the English is somewhat complex and I shall deal with this more in the future. I know it's of great interest to English political activists. I would say, however, that there are some 67,500 English fans in Edinburgh today for the Rugby League cup final. (Wembley being out of action.) Last time, many of them were reported as wanting the final to be permanently played at Murrayfield because the fans found it much more welcoming here than in London. I have to say, though, that the ones who sing in my local need some lessons from the Welsh rugby union fans........

No comments: