Sunday 4 November 2007

Reply to James Higham (Part 1)

In response to Friday's post James Higham has asked this:
And so, David, what conclusion do you draw from all this?
Well, that is indeed the big question - for Scotland and the UK. I plan to answer in several instalments.

First, although I fully accept the concept of free will, I can't deny that we are all affected by our own backgrounds. In my case that's an Anglo-Scottish one. My late father was born in England but spent a lot of his life in Scotland. My mother was born in Scotland but has lived in England for more than 40 years. One of my sisters is Scottish born and the other English.

But what about me?

I first saw the light of day in Scotland, but only a few miles north of the border. I went to school initially in Scotland, then England and then Scotland again. I took Highers rather than A-levels. But a few weeks after leaving school the family moved to England again and I lived in London for more than thirty years. Now I live in Scotland once more. Perhaps I should claim some kind of "Britishness" award from Gordon Brown. In fact, I've been to every county in the United Kingdom. How many others can claim that?

But being born in Dumfriesshire rather than an equally likely Cumberland means that I always support Scotland against England in any sporting contest. If England are playing foreign teams I'll support them, although when they play against Wales or Northern Ireland I may well support the underdog. After all, they're family.

What this means is that I do consider myself British as well as Scottish. I certainly don't feel that I'm a foreigner when I go to England.

All of this informs my views on the current political situation.

More will follow.

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

David Farrer
Do I get to be MP for Kensington and Chelsea?
5 November 2007, 09:10:15 GMT – Like – Reply

Miller Bennet
Half and half? You might consider emulating Malcolm Rifkind and engaging in self-taught elocution lessons.
5 November 2007, 04:50:44 GMT – Like – Reply

David Farrer
Do you speak with a Scottish or an English accent?

Half and half. When I've heard myself on a tape rcording I think it's clear that I have lived in Scotland. But it's not broad Ayrshire!
4 November 2007, 20:07:17 GMT – Like – Reply

Anon A Moss
"I first saw the light of day in Scotland, but only a few miles north of the border. I went to school initially in Scotland, then England and then Scotland again. I took Highers rather than A-levels. But a few weeks after leaving school the family moved to England again and I lived in London for more than thirty years. Now I live in Scotland once more."

Do you speak with a Scottish or an English accent?
4 November 2007, 19:41:32 GMT – Like – Reply

jameshigham
Right - noted - omto part 2.
4 November 2007, 19:12:09 GMT