Sunday 19 October 2008

Small world

Back in 2005 I was at an Edinburgh event attended by David Cameron. The soon-to-be Tory leader entered the room and worked the crowd. He shook my hand and said: "Hello, I'm David Cameron." "Hello, I'm David Farrer," I replied. The chap to my left looked at me. Cameron turned to my neighbour and once again said: "Hello, I'm David Cameron." And my neighbour replied: "Hello, I'm David Purdie." I stared at my neighbour.

As Cameron moved on Messrs Farrer and Purdie said simultaneously "St Quivox Road?" And yes, we had both lived a few doors apart in that street in Prestwick around forty years earlier.

I knew from my mother that David Purdie had become a doctor but not that he was now a prominent public speaker. Anyway, he's now on the blogroll and having heard David speak at the Adam Smith dinner I can confirm that Dr Purdie is indeed a successful practitioner of his new calling.

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comment made on previous template:

bioIgnoramus
When I was an undergraduate I was lectured by a man I admired. Later we did some research together. It turned out that my grandmother had been at school with his aunt.

21 October 2008, 18:11:56 GMT+01:00